Thursday, January 24, 2008

Possible Essay Topics

During class today, I found the comparison between Newton and Stephen interesting. I think I might pursue this as an essay topic. I think that Hochschild focuses on the difference between Newton and Stephen because they are so different in the early parts of their lives, yet they come together (at least through their beliefs on slavery later on) and try to abolish slavery in Britain. I think I would focus on Hochschild's description of both men, but also look at other sources, such as biographies or autobiographies on both men, as well as various websites that would effectively portray the differences between these two men.

Another topic that I found interesting was the fact that the people of Britian stood by and watched all these horrible things happen to the slaves in the Caribbean. I think that maybe the people who did not benefit monetarily from the sugar plantations in the West Indies may have not known what it was really like on the plantations, and therefore didn't really care what was happening. I think that the people who grew wealthy off these plantations, such as the ship captains, the plantation owners, or the families of these people, didn't really care that so many slaves were dying because the conditions were so disgusting and degrating on these plantations because they were getting rich. They were killing people and letting people die for the purpose of getting rich and gaining power. I would use Hochschild as well as other websites or books or magazines that effectively portray this as sources if I chose this as an essay topic.

No comments: